listening - train, if it's love
Proving that my brain for pop culture references needs to speed up a little bit, today I made the connection that one of the doctors for whom I work's name sounds a lot like "Hansel," which reminded me of Will Ferrel bellowing "HE'S SO HOT RIGHT NOW" in a faux-Austrian accent. Coupled with the image of the kindly 50-something man who is now my boss, this lends itself to a mental picture that threatens to invoke strong giggling fits in front of patients. Aaaand that was my day.
Part of me is not sure what on earth we're going to do all day with three receptionists on. Maybe they've been holding some of the work back since there's only two of us on this week because LM is in Vegas? I don't know.
There is quite the storm kicking up outside. I just looked out the front window and the leaves are flying and trees are shaking like there's a tornado coming - but of course, it has not been nearly hot enough for that sort of thing. It's just the Edmonton version of the Santa Anas, only earlier. The wind like this comes through every fall.
(Sidebar: This is my third fall in Edmonton. Who believes that?)
(Sidebar 2: Now I'm listening to The Rural Alberta Advantage - Edmonton).
Anyway, it's supposed to be -5 tonight. I'm still waiting for summer and it's already over - it doesn't feel like it even happened. Barring those few days in May where it was stiflingly hot and dry, the warmest I've been all summer was in Vancouver (-of-all-places). We're not going to be able to get away without turning the furnace on tonight - running to the shower at six-fifteen this morning was distinctly uncomfortable. I am trying not to pine for last September, the month of prolonged 25-30 degree temperatures. I don't think it froze until well into October and it certainly didn't snow any significant amount until November. We got spoiled. I keep looking out the window now and reminding myself that I signed up for the tundra lifestyle and it's really my own fault.
Still. Permafrost does not have any benefits. It's all downsides.
I'm alone in the house this evening, and I'm entertaining the idea of finishing that (bloody) song that Brett and I started writing in May. It would be the perfect night to do it - I can sit at my keyboard and play slight variations on the same melody over and over again until it's right and not have to worry about interrupting the various academic-related machinations of my roommates. These walls are thin.
-rae





0 comments:
Post a Comment